January 29, 2012

2nd prenatal appointment at CHOP

This past week I had my second prenatal appointment at CHOP. Riq wasn't able to make it this time so my mom came along. We were lucky to get nice weather for the drive to Philly. Once there, I had an ultrasound and got to see Luna. She seemed to behave a little more this time and managed to not move around as much and let the sonographer get all her measurements quickly. She's measuring at approximately 3.11 pounds. I'm so happy to know that she is at such a healthy weight. We also got to get a nice close up picture of her face which always makes me smile in the midst of my fears. I was then able to talk to one of the midwives on staff and discuss labor and delivery. Talking to her made me feel about 60% better about the whole L&D process. She seemed to have a very calm aura to her and reassured me that they will do everything they can to make the experience as untraumatic as possible. We then met with one of the neonatologists who did a great job of carefully explaining how Luna will be cared for at delivery and all the things that can happen afterwards. We then got to visit the NICU. Although it was my second visit, I really wanted my mom to visit so that she can get a better idea of what CDH babies have to endure. She seemed to handle it pretty well and was impressed with how well the babies are cared for. As for me, I figured exposing myself to the NICU as much as possible before Luna gets here will make it a less scary place once she's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment